Mr. Francis Wilson Owusu
Position: Senior Research Scientist
Tel: +233 (0)60373/60370
Professional field of interest
sawmilling of wood species, development of woodworking properties of lesser-used, lesser-known, plantation timber and non-timber species, furniture manufacture and testing, wood and agricultural residues utilization, bamboo and stems of palmae species utilization
2008 – Date: Ph.D Programme in portable wood processing machines for efficient wood utilization in Ghana. Faculty of Renewable Natural Resources, CANR, KNUST.
2002: MSc. Wood technology and management, KNUST, Kumasi, Ghana.
1985-1989: BSc. Agricultural Engineering, KNUST, Kumasi, Ghana.
- Sawmilling and woodworking properties of lesser-used timber species in Ghana
- Processing of small diameter logs including plantation species
- Cold and steam bending properties of timber species
- Sawmilling and woodworking properties of coconut stem, oil palm stem and Borrausus stem
- Utilization of Rubberwood as timber resource in Ghana
- Processing and utilization of logging residues (stumps and branchwood)
- Processing and utilization of trees on farmlands and logging residues through collaboration with local communities
- Bamboo resources and utilization
- Furniture production and testing
- Chain sawing and other improved chainsaw / portable milling technologies for wood processing
- Sawmilling and woodworking properties of Broussonetia papyrifera, an invasive plant
- Sawmilling characteristics of Tectona grandis L.f. logs from six different localities in Ghana
- Processing and utilization of logs extracted from the Afram arm of the Volta Lake
- Utilization of wooden dowels in furniture manufacture by the furniture industry in Ghana
- Nail bleeding and splitting tendencies of timber species grown in Ghana
- Value Chain Analysis of the Wood Sector in Ghana
- Wood market trends, inclination and developmental potentials in Ghana
- Development of Building Blocks made of stabilized Laterite and agricultural Residues as an environmentally friendly alternative to Cement Blocks in Ghana
- Analysis of financial values of tree-level lumber in community forests plantation in two reserves of Ghana
- Charcoal value chain in Ghana: Implications for Sustainable Livelihood
Owusu, F.W., Appiah-Kubi, E., Tekpetey, S.L. Essien, C., Arthur, P.L and Zorve, G.K (2014). Products development of laminated panel doors from plantation grown bamboo species in Ghana. J. Bamboo and Rattan, Vol. 13, Nos. 3&4, pp. 91-105
Owusu, F.W., Tekpetey, S.L., Appiah-Kubi, E., Essien, C., Appiah, J.K. and Boakye, F. (2014). Ripping and planing characteristics of some exotic bamboo species grown in Ghana. J. Bamboo and Rattan, Vol. 13, Nos. 3&4, pp. 67-79
Appiah-Kubi, E., Owusu, F.W., Tekpetey, S.L. and Essien, C. (2014). Bamboo for housing in Ghana: challenges and prospects for the future. J. Bamboo and Rattan, Vol. 13, Nos. 3&4, pp. 45-54 (2014)
Appiah-Kubi, E., Owusu, F.W., Tekpetey, S.L. and Essien, C. and Seidu, H. (2014). Investigating the mechanical properties of some bamboo species for efficient utilization in Ghana. J. Bamboo and Rattan, Vol. 13, Nos. 3&4, pp. 81-89 (2014)
Aggrey-Smith, S., Preko, K. and Owusu, F.W. (2016). Study of Thermal Properties of Some Selected Tropical Hard Wood Species. International Journal of Materials Science and Applications. Vol. 5, No. 3, 2016, pp. 143-150.
Aggrey-Smith, S., Preko, K., Owusu, F.W. and J. K. Amoako (2016). Study of Radiation Shielding Properties of selected Tropical Wood Species for X-rays in the 50-150 keV Range Journal of Science and Technology Vol. 4 (2016), 8 pp.
Francis Wilson Owusu, Felix Boakye and Godwin Zorve (2015). Timber species from Afram arm of the Volta Lake in Ghana: Planing and sanding properties. Journal of Horticulture and Forestry. Vol 7(4), PP. 84-93
Mensah J.K., Apetorgbor, M.M. & Owusu, F.W. (2015). Evaluation of natural durability of Ficus sur and Cola gigantea from two ecological zones of Ghana. International Journal of Science and Nature Vol.6 (3) 2015: 406-410
Owusu, F.W., Appiah, J.K., Essien, C., Brentuo, B. and Foli, E. (2013). Quality assessment of some timber trees extracted from the Afram Arm of the Volta Lake in Ghana: Sawing characteristics. Annals of Biological Research, 2013, 4 (1): 142-151.
Essien, C., Ofori, J., Sekyere, D., Owusu, F.W. and Tekpetey, S.L. (2012). Assessing the suitability of Ficus sur and Cola gigantea as raw material for pulp and paper production in Ghana. Annals of Biological Research, 2012, 3 (10):4650-4656
Owusu, F.W., Ayarkwa, J. and Frimpong-Mensah, K. (2012). Sanding properties of seven Ghanaian lesser-used timber species. Ghana Journal of Forestry 28 (1), 2012, Pp. 1-14
Owusu, F.W. and Ayarkwa, J. (2011). Machining characteristics of Khaya senegalensis and Anogeisus leiocarpus. Ghana Journal of Forestry, 27 (2), 2011, 97-111
Owusu, F.W., Appiah, J.K., Damnyag, L. and Blay, D. (2011). Comparative analysis on recovery efficiencies of some milling techniques in Ghana. Ghana Journal of Forestry, Special edition, 27, 2011, 87-100
Ayarkwa, J., Owusu, F.W. and Appiah, J.K. (2011). Cold bending performance of some selected timber species in Ghana. Ghana Journal of Forestry, 27 (3), 94-104
Ayarkwa, J., Owusu, F.W. and Appiah, J.K. (2011). Steam bending qualities of eight timber species of Ghana. Ghana Journal of Forestry, 27 (2), 87-100
2013 CSIR-FORIG Best Worker - Research Grade
Faculty of Forest Resources Technology, KNUST-Kumasi